View Single Post
Old 03-24-08, 08:55 AM   #478
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
1) In this case (Balao propeller etc.) NS_Balao_N01.dds is absent ... but in your interpret. it's present ... Formal action ... ?
2) I think specular takes from a-channel of NSS_Balao_O01.dds file ... or (if in UnifiedRenderControler is cheked) from diffuse map (*.T01.dds) ...
Correct, the current implementation assumes alot. I know it shouldn't but I haven't really had time to implement it better (like you suggest, use the params from the UnifiedRenderController, or even ask the user). So I chose the easy way and basically assume all maps are available. I will have to improve this as we move along...

Quote:
3) You do not use UV coordinates for occl. map (indexed in TMAP section) ...
4) All material param's are default (3DS Max) param's and all material parts have channel 1 ...
... and etc. etc. ...
I have had alot of difficulties with the DAE-materials (not with the DAT-file or geometry). It just seems the FeelingSoftware doesn't pick up the info I provide in the DAE-file. I actually DO assign the proper UV-channels in most cases (you can check by looking at the file in notepad), but it resets the channels to 1 on import. I'm still not convinced the problem is with my export or with their Max-plugin. You can just change the channel index to 2, and then it renders ok...

I try to focus on importing the geometry now though, and not so much exporting the correct materials. As long as they are 'just a bit' right, I think we just have to settle with it (for now). I mean, it's not so hard to manually fix the materials in Max for rendering previews (assign the correct textures, and assign the correct UV-channels).
If we can get at least the geometry imported back into the dat-files, we can always fix up materials using other means (S3D/hex etc.). I only need material assignment info for that (which face, what material index), not actual correct materials. For all I care it's painted orange and green in Max, I just drop that info upon import in S3D. As long as materials in dat are ok (and in same order), it should be fine

Later, when this works, I can always improve the material part...
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote