nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFishermanBob View Post
I was taught that:-
  • 'man(n)' means 'adult human'
  • wo-man is adult female (somtimes wif-man)
  • were-man is adult male: not often used, now seen mostly in were-wolf (man-wolf) and in Scots 'fir' or 'fier'* (and Gaidhlg fear / fir) and 'vir' in a number of languages. You can also have wępenmann (weapon-man) meaning male (and an innuenedo on weapon)

And thus 'man-size' = 'adult-human-sized' and manhole, chairman and so on are perfectly descriptive and not in the least sexist.

However, I am old, and usage changes... I have a horse in this race, though, as due to my surname, I am in danger of becoming Mr Personperson.

* Burns', Auld Lang Syne, 'And there's a hand, my trusty fiere!'

I live too close to Portland(ia), Ore-gone. You may need to clarify this for the 45 different gender types they have here. Not sure how this all "trans"-lates to British PCness? Queen Victoria must be spinning in her grave? (not a sexual term)

East end boys, West end girls? What does that even mean? Is it like a transgeordie or a scousersexual? Christ, how do I even fit a Steed joke in here? ...then there's the convicts, from convict island? What sort of debauchery....nevermind.