Thread: Subnautica
View Single Post
Old 11-29-17, 01:49 PM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I knew that VR images are more blurry than what you see on monitor. I expected worse, however. What VR now gives me, blew my mind out of the skull. If you can afford it, go for it, it is much more than just "good enough".

But I also bought a very beefy system, I had to get a new one, the old one, seven years old, fell apart. I spend much more than I would have if I would not have had VR on the agenda. As a result I have quite robust reserves, and VR software of the kind there is now, does not bring my hardware to its knees. I do not need to make compromises in frame rates and inviting the risk of dizziness or nausea due to frames being limited, I can keep almost everything at the ideal and wanted 90 fps - in Oculus (on monitor, it sometimes is three times as high frames ).

Considering that this is just th first generation of VR headsets, and future ones will have more pixels and thus more demand for hardware specs, I would recommend to go "all in" if you buy a new system now and want VR. My specs are in my profile.

VR reall changed the way I see computer games. And Google Earth in VR - I admit first time I dived into it, resulted in emotional overload. Its magic, and its charming. Its a wonder that human mind can come up with somethign like THIS.

Not all software for VR, is really good or is even needed. And VR cannot serve well in just every purpose, you have to understand the limitations as well as the gains to judge what kind of software may suit this new medium, and what not. But there are some ideal combinations. And if you hit one of these, then - well, I said it already: it blows your mind out of your skull.

I am enthusiastic about it. So: yes, go for it. But I also say: know what you are doing when deciding on what hardware to buy.

Also understand please that I am not certain that it will be games driving VR further in the future. It could be other things, in fact many game genres do not easily lend themselves to VR, and first heavyweights in the business already have withdrawn again. I think this time VR has come to stay - but that it takes over the game market as well I do not take as a certain. Its possible, but not certain. For some things VR is fantastic. For others, not so much.

the limitations in optical image quality get more than just compensated for. You oversee them very fast. I forgot about them after the first minute.

Free stuff you want to try out: 360° videos (of high pixel resolution!). Google Earth VR, Vitual Desktop. Free demos: the little Robot by Oculus (the demo is called First Encounter), and the "Air Car" simulation, which is one of the most intense experience I currtently can have in VR, fantastic; and "Robo Recall", a game which indeed is very good. Mission ISS is giving you a nice opporutnity to disocer looks and dimension of the ISS, both inside and form outside. The game genre that benfits most from VR: racing sims. Best games I play on VR: Assetto Corsa, Raceroom, IL-2 Battle for Stalingrad (!!!) , Eleven Table Tennis, Subnautica, Alien Isolation (very intense!!!), First Person Tennis. My plans to get in the future: Aerofly FS2 (a flightism light, due to the fantastic graphics), Fallout 4 VR, Skyrim VR, maybe a Golf game.

To me, it was completely worth my investments, which were not small. But as I said: I am enthusiastic.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-29-17 at 02:01 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote