Old 10-08-14, 05:54 PM   #10
33lima
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Thanks for the replies!!

Yes, I've always been interested in Armor. Dad was a Tank Commander, Platoon Sergeant spending 3 years overseas in the Pacific during WWII. Their operational tactics were quite different than what was taught at Fort Knox. But, luckily in the Pacific, you didn't have to go up against the German Armor! Dad was active in his Tank Battalion Association after the war, and I remember hearing these guys at reunions recall their stories. The only time I ever heard Dad tell them was during these reunions. It's like he could open up with them, where any other time he kept his memories to himself. I think combat is something you can only share with those who were there. Those that brag about it....probable didn't see much of it!

My last Tank game was the Micro Prose M1 Platoon II. I'm not sure if I could get it to play....or even want to, since the graphics are probably very outdated.

So, yes I'm open to suggestions
M1TP2 can be got to play on modern systems and despite its limitations still has the sort of single player campaign features that few can compete with, even if the individual missions were somewhat repetitive. With a Glide wrapper the graphics are dated but still serviceable.

For a WW2 experience, Steel Fury is well worth trying. Modded, it has an unmatched playable vehicle set (some of which are illustrated here) and decent graphics, as you can see from this set of screenies from a 'Barbarossa' German campaign I just started this evening. Despite the presence of at least one 76.2mm field gun in the Soviet defences, our two platoons of three Panzer IIIJs with the new long-barelled 5cm guns, backed up by dismounted grenadiers, were more than a match for the Ivans in their T-26s and BT-5s. I managed to get all three of my tanks and crews through the battle in one piece and we all chalked up some kills, including a couple of T-26s that I was credited with knocking out, like the one seen through my zoomed-in gunsight below, surrounded by the bodies of its crew, mowed down after bailing out.

Last edited by 33lima; 10-04-15 at 05:11 AM.
33lima is offline   Reply With Quote