View Single Post
Old 02-25-15, 08:34 PM   #47
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Well unfortunatly I spent 3 hours debugging an error with the solution (A folder name was had # in it which wasnt allowed apparently... which sucks cause I keep my important folders prefixed with # so they are at the top of the directory listing ie #Blender Stuff #YouTube #Photoshop #Video Courses #Unity Stuff #Coding Stuff, Blueprints, Models, Textures, etc)

and then it took 2.5 hours to compile on my 6 core 4ghz computer

So tommorrow I'll get started. Today was a compiling day (and I re-watched some video courses so that I was sure I had a general feel for UE4.x)

I created some 2 basic meshes and associated diffuse maps and exported them to .FBX in Blender. We will see how they import (4.7 now automatically knows what your trying to import), then I'll use blueprint (node based, visual scripting) to show how easy it to rotate along an axis.

The new version also checks your projects folder every 5 seconds or so for changes so if you change a texture its immediately shown in the viewport, no more having to re-fresh images or removing/re-adding components all together.

The material system is SOOOO cool. Its just like blender. No more having a diffuse and normal map texture on a mesh with the alpha channel holding your spec map that you have to have a special program to put in the alpha channel and then code a shader... its all visual node based now... just like Blenders material editor! You bring in a texture and apply modifiers (math, grime node, etc. etc. etc.) to it then plug it into the diffuse node, and the same for spec, AO, normal etc. and it does all the shader compiling for you. What a time saver, plus you get a real-time preview of what the shader/material WITH textures will look like.

Then after you create whats called a "master material" say a metal floor you create instanced materials by editing any values you determine to be parameters when you design the material/shader setup. So you might have metal_floor.material metal_floor_rusted.materialinstance and metal_floor_spilled_paint.materialinstance.

Not to mention you can do 95% of the coding with this node based system... I'm excited to see how much further I can get in this than Unity before I actually have to start using code for complex things but I have yet to see very many things that cant be done in blueprint. Heres an example of an input node, math node, and get/set node used to change a value in a function or class or something (havn't looked at the whole tutorial)

They also added a git-hub plugin stock for teams using git-hub. That with Visual Studio 2013's git-hub system will be soooo nice with extra team-members in the future. Not to mention they are using the PhysX 3.3 engine (I just checked, Unity isnt switching to version 3 till Unity 5 comes out ) gonna be some cool oppertunities.

The one downside is the marketplace is really empty so far since its only a few months old. I'm gonna start making videos on UE4 to supplement my Unity and Blender and other channels. I need to start a dedicated channel currently my Unity videos are spread out across 2 channels.

Last edited by nsomnia; 02-25-15 at 08:52 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote