View Single Post
Old 04-25-17, 11:19 AM   #7
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So I tried to find a way to create a "Track contact for X time without losing contact" scenario, so far I wasn't lucky.

It is super easy to create a "Track for X time" objective, that's easy-peasy - but implementing that it can't be completed once contact was lost is causing problems.
There is a "IsDetectionHeldNow" trigger - but it doesn't seem to work as I thought it would.
On top, adding such 'feature' would tremendously interfere with immersion, and also authenticity. Why would a Captain be required to not lose contact at all[!], as long as he re-establishes contact in case of losing a track?
"Captain, you lost contact to the track on all sensors for 3 seconds - your mission failed."
"But I re-established contact immediately, it's right here on my screen!"
"No - RTB - you failed! Reasons! Hurr!"

It doesn't really make much sense.

If there's one thing I HATE* in DW scenarios, it's the constant hand-holding and 'magic-messages' giving the player information he should acquire on his own, for example counter-detection, oh how I HATE* it when a mission tells me so out of the blue, instead of creating events that let's the player realize something's off.

Anyways, I'm now trying to find an immersive way for a "Trailing objective", which seems more difficult then I thought.

I tried a trigger that fires after:
1. CompletedTrigger [Find K-276]
2. IsDetectionHeldNow [K-276]
then
(including a 5min duration, aka having to track for 5 minutes and be in contact when the timer runs out.)

To test if the detection is really required, I turned 180°, went on flank - blinding myself - but the trigger still fired - though I effectively did NOT hear the K-276 at all in my baffles. No towed array used and everything else was washed out, of course.

I suspect the IsDetectionHeldNow doesn't do what it sounds like.
Anyone smarter on that one?

*Did I mention that I HATE that?