View Single Post
Old 02-14-08, 03:00 AM   #24
Axlwolf
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness
Well the Alfas and Victors had computerised fire control and really fancy sonar compared to WWII stuff, so getting them in game depends on whether or not we can implement those (50/50 chance at this point). The Victor I may be possible, however; it was made in the late 60s if memory serves...

Another difficult aspect of the Victors and Alfas is that they had small maneuvering props in addition to their main propeller, the Victor's were on the roots of the stern planes while the Alfa's were on the tips. I'm not sure how to get something like that to work because technically the main prop should shut down and the tiny ones should start up while silent running (and at 1/3 bell or less) and only while silent running. While the idea of adding a third propulsion system should be possible (it's done in the expansion with the Walter turbine), I'm not sure how to get two prop sets to run independent of one another. If anyone has any ideas on this let me know.

Here's a pic of an Alfa in dry dock so you can see the little props (it's too big to insert in this post):
http://www.russiansubmarines.info/im...3568DB5A4E.jpg

And here's a pic of a model Alfa:

And here's an illustration of the Victor's maneuvering props:

Wire guided torpedoes and towed array sonar are out of the question, though, but I am currently experimenting with getting an active homing torpedo, we'll see how that goes.
Are you sure they are some type of towed array sonar?
The Victor class has a huge pod on the top of the fin which was the housing of that type of sonar.
Axlwolf is offline   Reply With Quote