View Single Post
Old 06-27-08, 10:24 PM   #111
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

I love using the version of this for SH4, but I've been reluctant to try it for SH3 (since recently returning to play some SH3) because of the problems of coping with German language commands given the speech recognition method it uses.

I've been using the old Shoot voice recognition program to give voice commands in SH3 since way back, and I found that it's voice recognition mechanism works very well at recognizing spoken Gernam commands, presumably because you can train and specify exactly what sound the Shoot program expects to hear and Shoot will react to it with the relevant key press output. Shoot doesn't really care whether it's an English word/sound or a German one - since it's not trying to match the sounds to a known English lexicon/dictionary but just to a limited number of sounds you define for it.

Unfortunately, the Shoot program doesn't seem to be able to handle any of the cool mouse-based commands that SH4/SH3Speech can.

Without really knowing much about the way SH4/SH3Speech is programmed, it seems to me that it should be possible in theory to separate the part of the program that recognizes the sounds from the part of the program that acts upon what has been recognized. Therefore, I'm just wondering if there wouldn't be some way to combine the front-end speech recognition aspects of Shoot with the back-end recognized command output capabilities of SH4/SH3Speech, and thereby come up with a really great voice command program for use with SH3 when played in German.

[Sorry if this has been suggested/discussed before - just saw this thread pop back up and didn't get a chance to read through all the back pages (recovering from an overnight stay in the ER a couple of days ago and can't spend much time sitting up at my PC desk yet, but SH4Speech was so much fun and I'd really love to use the SH3 version when I get my SH3 install back up to snuff, so when I saw this I wanted to throw this idea out there just in case)]

Last edited by panthercules; 06-28-08 at 10:17 PM.
panthercules is offline   Reply With Quote