View Single Post
Old 06-25-17, 07:30 PM   #179
saintkas
Swabbie

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0
Default Construction detail correction

As I looked through the description of how to assemble one of the Submarine Attack Course Finder devices from the SubSim site I noticed a variance between what was described for the homemade version versus what is described in the SACF Mk I Mod 3 Manual.

In the manual in the section titled “Description, Course Finder on page 3 it reads:
"A" - Azimuth circle (base disc) represents own ship, for reading relative bearing with periscope pointer.
"B" Compass rose (middle disc) for reading compass course of own and enemy ship.
"C" - Enemy Card (top disc) represents enemy ship, for reading relative bearing on enemy bow and track angle.
Periscope pointers (placed between "B" and "C") represents line of sight, for reading bearings and courses.

According to this, the “P” disc of the SACF is placed between the “B” ring and the “C” ring.

In the description of how to assemble the rings on the SubSim site it says to put the “P” ring on top.
The issue is that putting it on top creates the necessity of adding a handle to the “C” ring so that it can be easily rotated. If the “P” ring is placed beneath the “C” ring as is described in the manual, the handle on the “P” ring protrudes out beyond the “C” ring which eliminates the need for modification to the “C” ring.

If you look closely at the photograph of the front of the SACF you can just tell that the “P” ring is indeed underneath the “C” ring.

Just thought it might be helpful to point this out.

If there are enough people interested in having these made, there are several companies that make all sorts of circular decision and reference devices who could be engaged to make them for us.

Fair winds and following seas!
saintkas is offline   Reply With Quote