View Single Post
Old 03-22-06, 08:50 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Well, the problems of Sonalysts regarding ressources for patching efforts are not reserved to them - others face the same problems, even at higher degrees, sometimes.

With regard to the complexity, I would not agree on stating that SBP is the less complex software code. You have to calculate viewing distances of up to 5 km in a truly 3dimensional environment modulated with a complex terrain surface and complex obstacle structures affecting line of sights, you have a VERY complex ballistics and armour model, and the combination of a script-based and a micromanaging AI. It is something different than the sonar model and sensor models in DW, but as long as the two lead programmers do not compare their stuff I would be careful in saying this or that sim is the more complex one.

I have dealt with DW quite a bit during last year, after I got it, and tested the subs very much (and tried the other platforms as well), which was not so difficult to get into, since the basic handling layout I already knew from SC. I do not claim to have become an expert for DW. The sparkles, however, did not lit a fire. Agreed, I did not spend the same ammount of time with 103 like with default DW, or with SC (that realy consumed a good ammount of my time), but when I get greeted with some issues as I described in a thread some weeks ago, even on game start, and repeated play shows the same symptoms that I described in that thread, then this certainly is something that turns me off very early after that long wait.

-----

In the thread Jamie was quoting from, something else was stated as well, and I quote to limit the danger that we get a hostile rivalry between the submarine- and tank-forum on this board:

Quote:
Okay, I expected that a comparison between SC/DW and SBP would come up on this board sooner or later, and I said what I have to say, and others did that, too. But we do not want a forum war here about people's preferences for this or that sim of their choice. So I would like to see this comparison beeing left behind now.
From the debates in DW-forum we know that things easily could get hot, so please everybody: do not let this happen here. Since tanksim.com and subsim.com are partner sites, both DW and SBP forums will live under the same roof in this place. Let it be a peaceful coexistence, please.

For that reason I would like to no longer participate in this dicussion myself anymore, and do not post my criticism in the DW-section anymore, since months. So, everyone: feel free to keep on discussing this topic as long as it does not turn too hot, but please understand that I stay away from it, for the most.