View Single Post
Old 07-07-07, 05:46 PM   #54
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default WernerSobe

Certain compartments on a ship in real life were set up with extra armor during the war to help protect vital area's that would sink a ship faster or disable it. Second in the ZON files for each ship some of the merchant ships have armor and hit point levels higher than the Battel ships which is silly. So they have been adjusted so that the biger war ships are harder to sink than they use to be. Second with the actual compartments set up for the ships you can get a cascade flood effect that will move from compartment to compartment sinking the ship. But with no Ammo set up in an Ammo bunker you can't get an explosion out of that compartment that would damage the one next to it as it would in real life. A fuel bunker you have to have for the engines to run but with no fuel in them to burn or explode why bother having them in the files in the first place other than sinking times for the ships themselves.

There is a lot more that comes into play on a ship at sea than just how long it takes to flood a compartment it is what they are carrying in each compartment wether it is Ammo, fuel, oil, or regular cargo or even nothing. But how many ships in WWII had wodden decks on average? Almost all actualy so without fires or reactions to the deck gun hit or torpedo hit that you can see at times just having a longer sinking time isn't enough. I agree yes some ships should take longer to sink but at the same time there should be a reaction to certain cargo's or area's of the ships that are vital to it's running or being able to stay afloat.

If you shoot a car in the gas tank with a gun what happens? It explodes and damages the rest of the car correct? And if you use a 50 caliber rifle and shoot the engine the oil ignites and burns and leaks out and the engine won't run anymore. If you don't set up the Zone's file to understand and have those reactions to situations like an explosion type breach from a torpedo you do not get realistic sinkings.

I am not knocking what you are doing don't get me wrong what I am trying to say is that there is so much more to a and in a simulation like this than just flooding times. In real life it depends on how thick the Steal or Iron is for that area of a ship wich is the hit points equivelant in a Simulation on a PC and Armor is a fact of life for ships tanks planes and buildings in war and survivability. So all of that has to come into play in your adjustments. Just consider it when you adjust your Flooding times what else comes into the picture for that section of the ship.