View Single Post
Old 10-19-13, 05:42 PM   #1
Rammstein0991
Engineer

Downloads: 164
Uploads: 0
SHO Luckiest harbor raid.

Here's an idea, post here your most successful harbor raid in SH4 that you can ever remember doing, you can be as detailed (or not) as you like. For example

I was playing earlier today (in between bouts of watching the gray sky looking for rain) in early 1942 at the helm of the USS Pollack (Porpoise class) out of Surabaya, Java, and despite my orders to patrol the Philippines I decided to head up to Japan and take a peek in some harbors to see if I could find anything juicier than small merchantmen to use my eels on. Selecting my target as Kobe I proceeded there with all haste, I knew I'd find something as I had raided Kobe in the past on other careers and had some success (particularly with flat tops).

Well when I got there I got the surprise of my life. Thanks to my periscope I identified, in addition to some merchants and tankers, a Hiryu class carrier, a Chikuma Seaplane carrying cruiser, a Kongo class battleship and the piece de la resistance...

Sitting outside the dockworks, with a destroyer just aft was the Yamato herself, bobbing in place like a rubber ducky in a tub. I quickly hit the Hiryu (3 torpedos) and Chikuma (2 torpedos) putting both down, I then proceeded a little further into the harbor and used tube 5 in for a rear shot on an old tanker, sinking it.

I then swung around to the other side of the harbor and parked off the Yamato's 3 o clock at about 300 yards I guess and fired a 4 torpedo spread, of which all four hit...she still floated, so I fired two more, one under the #2 turret and one towards the stern turret, still she didnt sink. Getting annoyed I prepared to turn around and fire my stern tubes at the stupid ship but first I fired off my last bow torpedo directly under the stack of the Yamato, it impacted, and just as I was preparing to go to AH 1/3 and swing around the Yamato suddenly started letting off small explosions and I saw the "Enemy Unit Destroyed" message.

Being low on torpedos now and deciding to not press my luck I made for home with around 93,000 tons under my belt. This will go down in history as one of the greatest patrols I ever had in ANY of the SH series.

P.S. to ComSubPac, I'll take my MoH now if you please
Rammstein0991 is offline   Reply With Quote