View Single Post
Old 02-26-10, 11:04 PM   #1622
admobadmo
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

I don't think this will end here, either. First it's a convenience to keep your game saves online. Pretty soon it's a convenience to keep the entire game online. Remember OnLive? I'm sure they're still working on that. How much longer until every new game is a pay-to-play over the internet game. They bill themselves as a service for gamers, but really, I think they're more a service for game publishers. How much more control over your game could they have then, hey, we'll crunch the numbers here for you on our computers, so you don't have to worry about it! Just play the game over the internet. Easy!

And what's this "cloud" computing? Are we just going to run all of our programs off the internet in the not-too-distant future? People already don't particularly like Microsoft, either, and they just sell a few big programs. What happens when they, or Google, or somebody else only runs everything on their server farm and allows you to just access it remotely? I'm sure to them it would look like just about the ultimate way to foil software pirates, but what are they up to really?

I guess, even if we don't live in the Matrix now, it seems like we're sure working hard on building it.