View Single Post
Old 02-14-10, 07:24 PM   #45
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

I think I figured it out - it still had to do with SH3 Commander inserting files into the Gram folder for certain dates.

What I ended up doing, in order to keep the date appropriate files available to be added in, was rename them all as 010_Radio and then put a file in the Gram folder of the same name, just a music track that I didn't mind not hearing if Commander overwrote it for a certain date range.

However, I found that when I loaded the game for a mission or patrol that started on a date for which there was no Date folder at all in the relevant Commander subdirectory, I still had problems with tracks getting skipped or the game freezing up trying to find the next track in sequence.

For instance, the first Date folder in Commander is 19390901. If I loaded the game to play with a start date in Sep1939 (like for the Courageous mission) there was no problem.

But if I started a career in Aug1939 - problem.

So what I did was create a Date folder in the appropriate Commander subdirectory for every monthly 'slot' in the Aug1939-May1945 timeline that didn't have one, each with the necessary folder structure, and copied the 010_Radio file from the game's Gram folder into all of them.

So far, so good - only when I started a career in Feb1941 and tried to load it the game crashed on me. I disabled all my mods and found that I could successfully load up a Feb1941 career but only when I got down to the point of disabling the first mod I'd enabled, which is GWX St Naz & Schluese. (I was starting out of St Naz so it wasn't a surprise that the problem seemed to reside there - didn't have it when I was starting earlier in the war out of Wilhelmshaven.)

I need that mod enabled to run WB's addl ships mod, so I'd like to have it. But I'm not sure why it's causing me a problem. I thought WB's instructions said to disable everything else, enable St Naz & Schluese, and then enable his mod... but is there something else that needs to be enabled first to make the St Naz & Schluese mod work?

EDIT: Well I got it working. Don't know what I did when I was setting up the mod in the first place but I just decided to delete it from the MODS folder and re-extract it back in. Then enabled it and started a new career in 1941 from St Naz and everything loaded fine... altho I think when I get there in my "real" career I'll either have to start at sea or maybe try the Lite Harbor Traffic because, wow, things were really laggy and choppy getting out of St. Naz.

Which will be a shame because it looks awesome with the mod enabled. SO much better than the stock version which doesn't look like St. Naz at all. Also getting the darn boat out of the modded version the first time was quite an adrenalin rush. "AAAAAIIIIIIEEEEE where's the exit hard to port no starboard wait amidships crap beide maschine zuruck wait no JANE STOP THIS CRAZY THING!!"

Last edited by frau kaleun; 02-14-10 at 09:16 PM.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote