View Single Post
Old 05-19-19, 03:23 PM   #303
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Actually, these are .dat models. This glitch is a common occurence when attempting to use unchanged .dat model from SH3 in SH5, but I still don't know which part of dat model would have to be modified (and how) to fix it. Unless you mean that the fix involves transferring model from .dat to .gr2 format?
No, I will try to explain here and actually the fix is easier for dat units than it is for gr2 ones.

The unit_Airplane (in the sim file of each aircraft) has a unit_Ship\Rudders field where the name of the rudder mesh (in the 3D model) must be specified. If you open one of the stock SH5 aircraft in Goblin Editor or in TDW's GR2 Editor, you will notice that its rudder is separated from the rest of the tail section; that means that when the aircraft turns the rudder (and only the rudder) turns too.
I think that SHIII didn't have this "turning rudder" feature, so some of the aicraft made for the latter game had their rudder combined with the rest of the tail section, and the name of the tail section specified in the 'rudder' field of the corresponding unit_Airplane controller. That makes the whole tail, not only the rudder, to turn around its center when the aircraft is turning.
If my diagnosis is correct, there are two possible fixes:
  • the easiest one is simply leaving the 'rudder' field blank. That will lead to loss of feature at best (the aicraft will keep turning normally even though its rudder is destroyed) and to a game crash in the worst case (the came is trying to check if the aircraft ha its rudder in place, and it can't find essential information on the name of the said part);

• the longest but best fix is separating the rudder from the tail section and importing it in the dat/gr2 file as a different mesh with its one name which must be used in the 'rudder' field instead of aircraft tail's name.

If you are importing the aircraft as a dat unit, the latter method is not that complicated actually. The one thing that you must be careful with, is rudder's vertex coordinates in the 3D space, as they will dictate its pivot point in game. To do that, you must move the rudder in Blender or Wings3D so that the edge that gets hinged to the vertical stabilizer has the Z coordinates of its vertices as close as possible to 0. Doing that will misplace the rudder once it is imported again in the dat file. In order to put it in its right place again, you must offset its node by an amount of units equal to the offset you applied to the part in your 3D editing program. I hope I have been clear, otherwise don't hesitate asking for further clarification
gap is offline   Reply With Quote