View Single Post
Old 07-12-18, 09:06 AM   #14
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Surface contacts and submerged contacts require some differing strategy and pre-planning.

I'm still trying to figure out a reliable way to determine the direction of travel for a sub at the beginning of an engagement. In sub only missions, especially when there is only one sub, taking the time to maneuver into its baffles before firing is a good start. With all the sonar numbers at -50 my launch is not detected so there is no immediate counter launch. Moving around when there are 2 or 3 other contacts is more difficult. Being above a strong layer helps but you can and usually do lose sonar contact on your targets.

1) Maneuver into position behind the enemy sub at a 90 degree angle to that subs line of movement. All sonar numbers for that sub should be at -50. I'm still working out how high above or below the target I can be and still remain inside the baffle cone.

2) Select a torp and settings and aim directly for the sub - in case the wire breaks. A torp exiting the baffles will alert the enemy that you are there.

3) If successful launch, re-position targeting box to intersect the enemy's line of travel at 90 degrees astern of your contact. When directly behind, on final time, change the course of the torp directly at the target.

4) Now change your subs course parallel to the enemy while staying in their baffles so the launch that is coming will be at your torp and not you. Be ready to cut the wire and flee if this doesn't work as expected.

5) If it is imperative to kill this target right now (there are other contacts to worry about or getting into position has taken so long that you need to go to the bathroom), consider sending two torps about 5 seconds apart using the above method.

Currently, I seem to be too close when I do this as the auto torp response when my torps get within 1000 yards seems to have a good change of locking on to me rather than swimming harmlessly by. I'm still working on this...
CDR DPH is offline   Reply With Quote