View Single Post
Old 08-14-17, 03:29 AM   #534
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
If you mean the sharp edge where the spray particle lays over the tower, that's due to the particle being on a plane which is behind tower's 3D mesh in that point. Maybe we can fix that glitch by playing with the DepthBias parameter.
I played about with DepthBias. It seems to affect the height and frequency of the splashes. If set to a negative number the splashes seem subdued. When positive splashes and spray are regular and high.(see screenshot below with set to 5.0 - don't know why, but seemed a nice number) I think the sharp edge is reduced and only appears on the base IMO. It's quite difficult because, as you pointed out yesterday, each time you run the mission the waves behave differently but each time I have run with a +ve number for depthBias the splashes are regular and reasonably high. No idea what DepthBias is really meant to do....worse than a crossword puzzle!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I have been doing some research on the forum, and I have read that every attempt to make FX particles affected by real wind in SHIII, has failed so far. The one thing that other modders managed, is having particles to move following a pre-set non-dynamic wind, which is exactly what we currently have in the present mod.

I seem to remember that TheDarkWraith (best known to SHIII players by his old forum name of RacerBoy) managed making SH5 smoke particles to follow real in-game wind. I didn't get time to dig into his files yet, but even if my memory was confirmed, that doesn't necessarily mean that we can achieve the same in our mod: his fix might only work in SH5, or he might have devised a workaround which can't be applied to our mod.

Fingers crossed
There was his U-Boat exhaust mod that people thought had the smoke following the wind, but I think this was discounted in one of the threads
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154338

As you say, fingers crossed

regards,

MLF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DepthBias5.jpg (71.7 KB, 10 views)