View Single Post
Old 03-11-08, 03:49 PM   #726
Templar_4450th
Watch

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Mind you I wasn't any danger to them, I still miss more than I hit. Last night I fired all four torpedoes at a large merchant, in four separate attacks. all missed. I ended up emptying my 3.7 but without any success.
A small suggestion that may help you in your torpedo runs:

1: Don't go overboard with the zig-zag...it's easy to do, but I've found that if I want my torpedos to hit, it's best to charge in at flank speed and make only minor course corrections on the attack run

2: When on your attack run, don't worry about using the UZO... the magnification can make it difficult to "eyeball" a firing solution. Stay on the bridge, use the "adjust heading to view" command ("=" Key) to make presicion adjustments to the run, and remember that the keybinding to fire torpedos is Ctrl+Enter

3: Since merchant ships zig-zag when they are alerted to danger, this obviously makes them a bit harder to hit perfectly broadside...at least for a submarine. For an S-Boot, however, it's alot easier to take an accurate broadside shot due to the fact that you're firing torpedos at under 1000m in ideal circumstances, and also because these massive merchant ships are amazingly sluggish. Given how slow these huge ships are, at about 700-800m, i've found that aiming directly at their bow when firing torpedos will cause a hit to the midsection, or, worst case scenario, aft of the ship. Leading the target is not nearly the issue that I initially made it out to be when I first started playing

4: On the egress, zig-zag and fire 3.7cm cannon...that bloody thing can be amazingly effective, and I've managed to take out smaller merchant ships and tankers while retreating by aiming at their bridge and cargo. Of course, it always helps when the target is carrying fuel or ammunition...choose your targets carefully
<P.S. Don't bother firing 3.7cm AA ammunition at ships...from my experience, it does zero damage against them.>

Last edited by Templar_4450th; 03-12-08 at 02:24 AM.
Templar_4450th is offline   Reply With Quote