Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 05-28-19, 11:19 AM   #8206
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Here's a Different Career Line

Started on 12/8/41 from Cavite/Manila. Conducted 6 successful patrols in USS Salmon, coming into Fremantle on 12/10/42 to end the sixth patrol. All objectives had been met and tonnage was almost indecent, averaging about 70k tons per patrol. Expected a newer boat. Instead was offered a desk job teaching at Annapolis.

I turned that down at the cost of almost all my renown. Made 3 more patrols in the Salmon, again ending in Fremantle on 6/23/43. Still no new boat - Offered a Desk job again at Annapolis.

I turned down the 2nd offer, again losing renown. One patrol later I was offered an upgrade to USS Sargo, making two patrols in that boat, still out of Fremantle.

On 12/10/43 at end of 2nd Sargo patrol, was offered a 3rd shot at the Annapolis desk job!

Turned that one down too. I have since made 3 more patrols out of Fremantle, arriving in port now on 1/19/44. All patrols have been successful in my estimation. Objectives met, and tonnage exceeding 50k on each one.

This is the strangest career yet. All others had some logical progression to new boats after some success was achieved, usually getting into a Balao before having to start over due to death or a new FOTRSU release. But not this one. I do get regular equipment upgrades, up to and including the twin 40mm AA guns, etc. Do you think it may have to do with lower renown accumulation I "suffered" for turning down the desk jobs? Had I taken the offers it would have ended my sea-going career anyway. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm going to keep going in the Sargo to see what happens. Just wanted to let someone know what I've seen so far, career-wise. So far it has not followed the previous pattern.

UPDATE: Made four more patrols in Sargo, ending in Fremantle on 9/17/44. Got a new boat, USS Trout (Tambor Class). The fun continues.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 05-28-19 at 11:28 AM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote