View Single Post
Old 09-22-17, 09:40 PM   #7
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillbro baggins View Post
I guess you could've sent somebody out on deck with a Stinger in the era the game is set. And in WWII there were specialized flak u-boats, but after that air defense has been pretty much "don't be seen". If you've screwed up bad enough in a modern-ish submarine to have to fight an aircraft, shooting back is the least of your worries.
A good lesson on why waging AA warfare from a submarine is a bad idea. As aircraft became more and more of a threat to U-boats the Germans attempted to develop new ways to counter and defeat them, such as adding all kinds of "winter-garden" gun platforms, larger flak guns and even as you mentioned,the U-Flack designated AA boat. Eventually, they made the correct determination that this armament did little more than incentivize the U-boat captain to fight aircraft (those gun platforms didn't help him if he was running away, and on the contrary probably slowed his diving time).

In many cases even if they could shoot the aggressor down they'd take damage and either way almost always would be finished off by the next aircraft or so (which would usually have a great idea of where the U-boat is after engaging the previous engagement).

If you encounter MPA, run and hide.

Edit: Also I will mention here for historical accuracy, there were some old Fleet-boats in the mid-60s which were issued Redeye MANPADS I think on Med deployments. These missiles probably would have had a hard time against helicopters and an even harder one against MPA.