View Single Post
Old 12-22-16, 03:18 PM   #9
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude88 View Post
What did the Captain of the U-boat wear? I've seen them in their dress uniforms, but I have trouble imagining them wearing that while out at sea. The conditions in the U-boat during operations were not ideal, after hearing that it can smell of exhaust, diesel, rancid body odor and humid if not just uncomfortably warm and the air can get stale after a few hours submerged. Did they wear similar clothing to what the rest of the crew wore?
Did you ever saw Das Boot?
In a serious note: there are several books, that are consistently of photos of u-boats, just the sub, crews and the sub, just the crews, etc.
I can recommend this ones:
U-BOAT WAR PATROL - The Hidden Photographic Diary of U-564 (Teddy Suhren), the German U-Boat Ace series (several commanders) and
Another Place, Another Time: A U-boat Officer's Wartime Album (not of a u-boat commander, but of a Chief Engineer).

From what I read and saw of the several books, they use normal clothes/duty uniforms, after Dunkirk (I think) they also began to use English naval duty uniforms that were capture, the brown 2 chest pockets shirts and trousers, etc.
I know that the officers had the leather deck jackets (some with the rank stripes others not); 3/4 leathers jackets and also use possible wool cloth and leather trousers.
Since the conditions during patrol were what they were, they also could relax and use what they wanted.
From the books I read it of
Reinhard "Teddy" Suhren and saw, they also could be in the u-boat tower only in pants/boxers and he said that "one can only sleep well in pyjamas" and he did sleep with them and one time had to come up to the tower in pyjama.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote