Old 03-04-17, 08:07 AM   #8
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I have some doubts about your idea of merging an entire squadron into a single air unit though, as this may lead to some weird visual effects giving up the trick when the "super-unit" is going to turn and/or climb around its virtual center or mass.
Yes, I thought about that too. It won't be a problem, since the squadrons will fly always straight forward.

Quote:
Moreover, you might need to keep wings and rudders separate from the fuselage, as the unit_Airplane controller points to them, and I am not sure what could happen if the relative fields are left blank, or made to point to dummy bones on the model.
Some air units have no independent 3D model for the wings.

Quote:
Last: how do you think that 20 identical models rendered at once can hang up the game? Sure, reducing model's complexity can help to some degree, but personally I think the contrail particles have a bigger impact on FPS than the rendering of the model itself. Maybe you should consider reducing the number of particles too.
Tests are needed for sure. First, I will reduce number of smoke trails from 4 to 2 per bomber, no difference will be noticed at high altitude.