View Single Post
Old 04-11-06, 12:19 AM   #32
Neutrino 123
A-ganger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I think the shipping comparisons were two M-26 tanks for every three Shermans. I'd much rather have the M-26s...

Against the Soviets, the Allied tanks would have some advantages. The 75mm Shermans could deal with the T-34s only at close range, but the 76.2mm T-34s could not deal with the Shermans front at all (most were the 85mm version, though, I think). However, half the American tanks were armored with the 76.2mm gun by the end of the war. The British also had the Firefly, with superb penetration capabilities. In the Russian force, the heavy tanks still were not in great numbers, and better W-Allied tanks were beginning to roll off the productions lines. Also, the W-Allies had better tactical skills in general compared to the Soviets. This is not to say that the Western Allies would have had an easy time. They probably would have gotten pushed back to the Rhine, and the USSR would be nuked before mroe ground fighting took place.

On the other hand, even with an assured decisive Western Allied victory, I would still prefer no WWIII at that time. The Cold War was very good for technological advancement. If communism was destroyed in the 1940s, we could not be having a conversation now since the itnernet would be science fiction. Nevertheless, this message is mostly an entirely different topic...