View Single Post
Old 03-05-08, 02:48 PM   #10
Tomcattwo
Loader

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default How the One Click Installer Works...

Wilcke said:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehunter
I do have a question for you. I have multiple installs. Do I have to install this mod for each game directory? Will it conflict with multiple installs?:hmm:

Same question, and can I direct the executable to install in each distinct install? To confirm the installer puts everything into the JSGME Mod folder.

Thank you!
Wolfehunter: SH3Speech supports multiple installs. The one click installer allows you to select where the files will be placed. For instance, I have multiple instances of SH3 (using Multi-SH3): One is with GWX (and usually I run OLC GUI with this one), another is Stock with 1.4b. Just use the one click installer to install SH3Speech to each instance. If you're a computer savvy person, you can just install SH3Speech once, and use shortcuts to the applicable .bat file to run the version you want, as long as you install the correct version of the commads_en.cfg file using JSGME into each SH3 instance.

The one click installer installs the following folders/files wherever you specify:

- An SH3Speech folder which contains 4 subfolders and 8 batch files and an .ico file
- In folder \MODS, installs two folders (with subfolders to make 'em JSGME-ready) (SH3Speech_GWX and SH3SPeech_OLC). If you pointed the installer at your SH3 folder, that means it'll put these in your SH3\MODS folder so that the version you need is ready to be installed using JSGME.
- On your desktop, two shortcuts (to SH3Speech_GWX2.bat and to SH3Speech_OLC.bat which point to those files in the SH3Speech folder)

Basically, you only need one instance of SH3Speech to run multiple installations of SH3. BUT you must install the correct version SH3Speech_GWX or SH3Speech_OLC via JSGME into each of your SH3 instances. This ensures the right commands_en.cfg file is used with your installation when you use SH3Speech.

You see, SH3Speech runs completely independently of SH3! The only linkage between SH3Speech and SH3 lies in the commands_en.cfg file to correctly interpret the commands provided by SH3Speech. For instance, crank up SH3Speech all by itself and give some orders. You'll see the SH3Speech feedback box interpreting your orders as though it were sending them to the game (it actually IS sending keypresses to your computer, they just aren't doing anything), and will even move your mouse if the command caused mouse movement...all without SH3 even running.

Wilcke - The installer does NOT put everything in your JSGME Mods Folder: It puts a copy of SH3Speech in your MAIN SH3 folder and it puts the necessary modification folders into your JSGME Mods folder. See above for details on what gets put where.

If you're squeamish, use the one click installer to to do the install to ANY folder you name (for example C:\MyTempSH3SpeechFolder) and it will load:
Sh3Speech folder and it's subfolders and files into C:\MyTempSH3SpeechFolder
Create and load a \MODS folder with its subfolders into C:\MyTempSH3SpeechFolder
Park 2 shortcuts on your desktop pointing to: C:\MyTempSH3SpeechFolder\SH3Speech\SH3Speech_GWX2. bat and C:\MyTempSH3SpeechFolder\SH3Speech\SH3Speech_OLC.b at

So if you wanted to, you could leave SH3Speech right there and just copy the two folders from C:\MyTempSH3SpeechFolder\MODS\ and paste them into each different SH3 instance you have in the \MODS folder, install the one you use (GWX or OLC) via JSGME for each instance, and then go use SH3 for any of them.

Don't forget to change the resolution in the .bat file you use if you are using a resolution other than 1024x768.

Let us know how you made out.
R/
TC2
Tomcattwo is offline   Reply With Quote