View Single Post
Old 08-28-15, 08:52 PM   #1498
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

OKAY, so in between work I've been making changes to the environment....this is near Crow Sound, out in the North Atlantic and West of Penzance on the UK mainland. This is built on Env.5.0 but with extensive changes of my own.

I trashed the old trees in the vegetation kit, replacing them with higher res and sharper versions. It's all part of my obsession with NOT making WOTK look like it takes place in the Pacific - the whole sim must evoke the Atlantic/European setting.

Note the temperate European texture tiles, and the new color of the ocean - this is still being tweaked, and this is by no means final. I've noticed that even 512 x 512 textures give good results - these are a bit larger but so far I have not noticed any crashes. I'm impressed with SH4's stability, and how much room there is for improvement...the devs truly did a good job all things considered.

I have PLENTY of plans for the formerly barren SH4 coastlines...we will see soon what can be done with the game engine. In my opinion, the act of sailing should itself be made interesting with an immersive ambience. Sailing should not just be something you get over with so you can blow up the next battleship.

-

-

-
-

-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
An interesting side-note: HMS Dreadnought and her contemporaries of course had their own 18" torpedoes, but they also carried six 14" torpedoes. I mention this because of the steam launch you're modeling. The 40' steam pinnace and two 56' picket boats were equipped to carry two torpedoes each, for patrolling when the ship was anchored in a foreign port.
Let me pester you with another request....you asked for it, Steve.

I really need a picture of naval launches with the torpedoes loaded. In fact, a few days ago I was searching for a photo and couldn't find one. If you know what the mountings for the torpedoes looked like, please post a picture! Anyone!
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote