Thread: PMDG J41
View Single Post
Old 07-07-12, 05:04 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Hell, I love this plane! It is a well-behaved flying pet most of the time, and pushing the lever or pulling it back, gives you immediate reaction, due to the engine construction. It is very different in feeling from all other propeller planes I ever flew in FS, Cheyenne and ATR-72 and SF.260, plus the default planes.

But there are also tripwires for the careless pilot. The planes is not easy to get slowed down, since the propeller even at minimum lever position produces still enormous forward thrust. You cannot reduce the propeller setting (in this plane called "condition") to nill without blowing the engines, since the airstream would move the propellers against the torque produced by the engines - mind you, propeller and engine are linked in a static way, there is no "propeller in idle" setting". Hell, I think I even blew the engines by slightly educing the conditioning within the "flight" range only. Also, the plane has no spoilers that can be operated manually - they can only be armed for landing, else get automatically operated by the plane.

This means it is apparently impossible to go into a descent and slow down at the same time. The descent always speeds you up, you cannot limit the forward thrust and use spoilers to compensate. If you descent, and before approach want to slow down, you probably find yourself impossible to slow down in time, and find yourself in a go-around instead. I operated like this, therefore: I slow down significantly at travel altitude (150 kn or less), use first and second flaps level and lower the gear - and then start to descent from trip altitude in landing configuration.

Well, that really needs to get used to! You need to plan ahead.

Second, first flaps level (9°), makes the plane jump upwards like a bronco on hot coals, I assume the passengers will remember that flight. You need to compensate by tremendous forward pressure on the yoke and instant trimming, or use flaps at lower speeds only, which again rules them out for speed reduction purposes.

And the EEG temp. That instrument you will look a lot at when manipulating the levers. Never cared for it in FS? Well, you will care now!

Great plane, and the window icing and nose icing effects I like, too. Those deicing buttons finally have a meaning in FS.

After I was surprised by these effects, I found it in thorough length described in another pdf as well, it is not in the main manual. I really should learn to read manuals before, not after, takeoff. The plane is difficult to slow down in reality, too, it is no quirk in FS only.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-07-12 at 05:23 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote