View Single Post
Old 01-12-19, 02:34 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
Thanks merc4ulfate..
I located the Improved Ship Physics mods on page 3 on the "SubSim Downloads - Newer site", and became uncertain on how to proceed.

There were several there, two of which were listed as version 2.6

The mods shown were:
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC_OTC
Improved Ship Physics 2.x Patch
Improved Ship Physics_2.6_TMO_RSRDC
Improved Ship Physics 2.15
Improved Ship Physics 1.1

Being relatively new to SH4, I'm not familiar with the acronyms, (TMO, RSRDC, etc), and in the descriptions provided with the mods, all said something to the effect "To be used with..."(insert acronym) etc., so I thought it best to get back to you for confirmation on which one, if any, I should proceed with ie: I wasn't clear on which is for my "stand-alone" version. (v1.5 without a mega-mod)

The current mods on my installation (all through JSGME) are:

Real Environment mod (for version 1.5)
Extra Ammo
Stop the Shouting
Less Water Limber Holes
Webster's 100' Underwater Visibility for v1.5
Webster's Better Sub Marker
Webster's Better Air Patrols

I hope this is enough info for you to be able to advise which, if any, of the Improved Ship Physics mods has the best chance to work with my installation & mod setup; and if none, any alternatives that come to mind..
stepping in for the merc...(only because i saw this while he was out enjoying himself )

ok, the acronyms designate mega-mod sets which re-define many, many features of the Stock SH4. here is short set of mods:
Stock = the game as you purchased it from Ubisoft, whether on CDROM or steam or wherever.
TMO=Trigger Maru Overboard
TMOwTW=Trigger Maru Overboard with Training Wheels (easier version than its predecessor)
RSRD=Run Silent, Run Deep
FOTRS=Fall of the Rising Sun
FOTRSU=Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate (vastly different from its predecessor)

there are many others but at least this gets you moving in the right direction.

so, each of these megas redefines various aspects of the game such that making one change to ships' physics, for example, is more than just changing one value in one file. megas are very complex changes to many of the games files that work together. megas take a long time to develop with most of the time spent on testing the effect of the proposed changes to the basic game play.

likewise, minor mods have to be written to work with specific mega-mods or they will not only not-work, they will screw up your installation.

so, now, you will start to "notice" in the download section of Subsim, all of the minor mods that are written for specific megas: environment changes, ship physics, 3000 yd tool, menu items, weapons and their availability, etc. when Subsim-ers see a mod or ask about a mod, the second or third question they ask is: is this mod compatible with this or that megamod? it all has to hang together or you get what's known as "mod soup" and you have to re-install and start all over again.

ok, i hope this helps. if not, feel free to ask more questions. meanwhile, good luck. and good hunting.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote