View Single Post
Old 07-19-13, 08:16 AM   #270
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 316
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Dark Souls... thoughts? I like the proposition of something that can kick my bottom but it isn't the best port.
I have played it only on Xbox so can't say how well it's ported to PC.

Dark Souls will kick your bottom, hard. It's almost excruciating at times. Well not almost, it is. There were plenty of times when I felt like ripping the controller apart and burning the game. Though, as a disclaimer I must point out that I get frustrated quite easily. So wouldn't recommend it to people who get angry easily due to trying the same thing over and over again as collateral damage will be imminent. But the game might teach some patience, maybe.

On the other hand hardness is what this game is about. The joy of accomplishment is phenomenal after you've beat that big monster which you have been trying to beat for days. Dark Souls challenges the player to think. Every enemy has its weaknesses and player must discover and exploit it. There is no hand-holding, player has to find out things by himself. Or by reading the messages which other players (you included) are able to leave on the ground, which is a nice touch. You can also invite players to your world to help beat the bosses. One thing lacking is proper co-operation. Sure you can try to invite your friends to your game but it doesn't mean they will always find your game and are able to join. Me and my friend never were able to play together (though apparently that has been tweaked in recent patches). That is intentional but it would have been quite nice to even play the whole game with your friend.

Combat is well done and rewarding. Which of course is a good thing as the whole game is based upon combat. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say Batman Arkham Asylum/City's combat system is somewhere on the same lines.

The general atmosphere in the game is somewhat peculiar, eerie even. Partially because the world doesn't really explain itself, the interpretation is once again left to the player. But at the same time atmosphere manages to be peaceful and relaxing. You are all alone save for the ghosts of other players which you can see from time to time, or the fiery letters of messages other players have left in the world or bloodstains which indicates that another player had died there, or the few eccentric NPCs which are scattered around the world.

I haven't completed the game and I don't think that is even necessary for the complete enjoyment. It's all about the journey not the destination.

Prepare to die and may the bonfires guide you in the dark.