View Single Post
Old 01-24-17, 06:08 PM   #34
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Hmm, I don't think my "NETGEAR AirCard 790S" mobile WI-FI would be classified as a router!!
Anyone know of any good free firewall programs?

It's been a few years, but on my Win XP machine, I usually ran:
(my bro also used some of these on his Win7 pc)

Firewall: ZoneAlarm. I always had it "locked" unless I was specifically doing something online.

Anti-Spyware: Spybot: Search and Destroy. Set up very restrictively, in Spybot I had most of the "options" for IE and the system "locked".

Anti-Virus: AVG. At the time I first tried it, it would show false positives on legitimate system files, so I would install and update when needed, but otherwise I just kept a recent version of the installer on the hard drive in case I needed it.

I had 1 virus in 5 years, and NONE of the virus programs were catching that virus. I had to use a Spybot tool to remove it.

Now these may have all gone downhill, but that was my last setup for Windows....

--------------------------

As far as Linux, Fedora has a firewall that comes with the system, I believe Ubuntu does as well.

Most changes require a password from a "PowerUser", i.e. "authentication" to be entered when you are making changes.
OR, root's password.

My main login is set as an "administrator" or "Power User", and I can install new software etc. But to change a setting, such as the resolution for the video, I have to enter the root password to be able to access the program in "write" mode. Otherwise all I can do is look at it. I can't access system areas either. Not even just to view.

The firewall program (firewallD, I THINK) allows access via address and/or ports, not specific programs.

For example, to host Minecraft when my brother and I play (once in a blue moon).
(please note: there MAY be a way, but I haven't found it, or run across instructions on how to do so.)
While I can join his game, hosting is a bit different...
I can't set the firewall to allow just Minecraft through, I can't set it to allow just Java through (Minecraft runs in java), but I have to open the "port" that Minecraft host on.
The problem with a "single player world" is that when I make it a LAN game (or "open to LAN") it host on a random port number.
So I have to go to the command line, and enter the command that allows all connections to and from my bro's IP address.
BUT, it resets when I reboot my PC. So it is only temporary.

I've yet to make it "permanent", but he moved out, so we don't play it that much...

However he did "ping" me on my Dual Core 2.8ghz with Fedora 20, with his 8-core FX8350 with 16GB ram, with a 4GB ping.... Fedora pretty much ignored it.
Slowed down my access to subsim for a few seconds, but mostly good.

We were on the same home network at the time....

On the Linux Side you should be good to go.

Barracuda

Just a note: I also pull the network cable on my PC unless I'm online, over the years it has helped me troubleshoot problems.
And since I jumped in to Linux full time a few years ago (I've had Linux installed since Fedora Core 3, about 2005), it helped me
to figure out what was installed and what I needed. Allowing me to figure out "what was what". In Windows, pulling the plug was my "primary" firewall!

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 01-24-17 at 06:19 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote