View Single Post
Old 12-03-13, 02:27 PM   #10926
MistaX32
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 0
After years of giving up I decided to have a go at this game again. Every time I get the same problem with this mod:
-range given by stadimeter is wrong.

Curiously when running stock game (lame auto-aim) the torpedo still manages to hit the rudder of a stationary vessel 600m away (AOB=90)...Doesn't seem to take the initial straight-line and arc-trajectory of the torp into consideration very well...

Running the mod:
I noticed at first that recognising the vessel and "sending mast data to TDC" did infact NOT do this. I circumvented this issue by using included recognition guide and using THIS "send mast data to TDC" which DID infact work (as I can see this measurement on the XO dialogue).
However, using stadimeter to get ghost-image waterline of ship to highest real-image mast gives me wrong range readings. I compare it to map measurement (with map update ON for testing) and I confirm it by seeing torp solution on the tac map (which shows impact point several meters behind ship). This is not so much of a problem if all ships were stationary but will mess up the lead angle calculations on the TDC for a moving target.

I tried manually lowering the mast heights of targets. I tried on one and by using 80% of real value (real.val. * 0.8) I get range to be correct. However trying this on a different type of ship I needed to take 0.9 of real value. That's when I realized it was hopeless. Too much guess work involved which compounded by reading errors will make long-range-targets or fast-moving-targets impossible to hit. An ideal situation is already inconsistent at best (and I mean an inconsistent miss, maybe I'll score a hit).

Only by using map-updates and using the accurate data from this (ie no stadimeter, including speed estimation) can I get a hit. This feels like cheating and is just lame.

Is this related to aspect ratio? Does the stadimeter adapt to settings properly? I don't know what causes this and I'm jealous of all those who got this to work from day 1....
No manual TDC takes everything away from this game, no more challenges, just auto-aim+fire like a lame casual-player-oriented-game.

-----
EDIT:
Same result can be achieved by getting the stadimeter reading of ghost-image-water-line a bit (significant) above real-image-top-mast. Still, not accurate at all, feels like I'm using broken amateur equipment made in China, not state-of-the-art german engineered military equipment.

PS: Game on steam, fully updated and what not. Everything else working great, just not the "torp shooting part"!!!.

Last edited by MistaX32; 12-04-13 at 10:49 AM. Reason: additional note
MistaX32 is offline   Reply With Quote