Old 10-11-17, 04:56 AM   #645
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

Returning to La Tourelle de La Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I am afraid the yellow/black cardinal mark system has been introduced after WWII. In any case, the historical picture you have posted here a few days ago seems to discard it. Pity, because it looked very cool

Plain (dark) green, plain red and red with a central black band, all are likely alternatives with their own pro's and con's. Unless we find information on the paint scheme actually used at the time, I have no real preference for one or the other. Most of my remarks on the subject are more me thinking out loud, than actually suggesting/discarding any of the aforementioned options
I emailed the Service de l'Inventaire du Patrimoine Culturel Direction du Tourisme, du Patrimoine et des Voies navigables who replied with a b/w photograph from 1950 (possibly has already been seen on this thread) which shows the tower with a dark top and light coloured bottom. They also referred me to the following web site:-

http://www.dirm.nord-atlantique-manche-ouest.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/sites-des-subdivisions-des-phares-balises-a62.html

From that web site I emailed the address given there and received a reply and a scan of a notice to mariners dated 31/03/1922 basically stating that the light, which had been reported extinguished, was now back up and working.

There is also a section on the notice - Renseignements (Information) which states the following:-

Nature:- Permanent gas light
Shape:-
Turret painted in red surmounted by a reservoir and a lantern
Colour of Light: Green

As, I believe, this department is responsible for the painting of these light towers, this is about as close as we will possibly get to knowing the colour of the tower

Regards,

MLF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20171010_144026.jpg (93.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg plate-1.jpg (95.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by MLF; 10-11-17 at 05:15 AM.
MLF is offline   Reply With Quote