Old 10-18-13, 04:47 AM   #19
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Jimbuna

I sympathise completely. A former Army friend of mine was telling me recently about his trip to No 10 Downing Street, London, with his father. His dad was to receive a presentation from President Putin himself of a silver, bejewelled dagger and medal for his services in WW2 to Russia. It took organisations and Vets a long time to get the intransigent British Government to allow our brave Arctic sailors to be recognised by Russia for the deeds they suffered to get vital supplies to Murmansk and Archangel.

Politicians are so very slow to recognise the sacrifices undertaken by the past, for the future and it is very very sad.

Many sailors and others, of many nationalities, suffered the utlimate sacrifice in order that there was food on the table in Britain, ammunition in the rifles of allied soldiers and fuel for the ships and planes of the USAAF, Royal Air force and the Royal Navy.

I know that we enjoy simulations etc in todays modern 21st C technology but there is also the fact, the hard cold fact, that things may have been VERY different if it was not for the hardships, deaths, hunger and bewilderment of our parents in war time. There is a favourite saying here in the UK- they would turn in their graves if they could see what became of their ultimate sacrifice.
The closest I got to rectifying the injustice was an enamel badge and that was only through the efforts of a friend who was the UK Foreign Secretary at the time.

I'll look for my Russian medal photos on one of my external drives and put them up asap....Sailor Steve might be quicker if he sees this post because he has copies.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote