View Single Post
Old 11-05-17, 04:30 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
My main computer, which has had a motherboard malfunction, was built in 2007. Since then it has had three motherboards, six processors, four video cards, at least half a dozen RAM configurations.....it goes on and on. A desktop is forever rebuildable, forever reconfigurable, forever useful.
Counting by the above, one could say you have had not one but several desktops.

My current rig is from 2010, and has seen the gfx board replaced once. Its now about getting retired, I await my new platform in a couple of days, the order has been placed. Costs twice as much as my last two systems together, but should be fast like hell and offer all performance reserves needed to test out VR in all seriousnness. I demand it to hold together for at least 6 -7 years - as long as my old one did. Its a pure simulation and game console, nothing else.

Windows 10, here I come. Hooray. The only way to protect privacy under Windows is to maintain no privacy-relevant data and habits under Windows. Windows for gaming, Linux for everythign else. The onyl thing Microsoft can spy on, is my Steam login and the games I have. Not even my Paypal login will be used under Windows.

i7 8700K, 1080TI - fast enough for VR, eh? It should also be quite stealthy. Usually I would have stuck with my long proven method of always buying one generation behind to get a good compromise between performance and costs, but this time I decided to sin in luxury. I did it even twice this time: for the first time, and also probably the last time ever. I do not complain about the now to be retired system, I think 7 years is okay. It based on y superoslid Asus motherboard, and the almost legenadary i5 2500K, one of the best bang-for-the-buck ratios ever offered by Intel , and superb quality I think. It served me well. And it was W7, which I really liked.