View Single Post
Old 08-18-17, 02:59 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Looking at a 1TB Surface Pro 2017? Make sure you know what you’re getting

Ready to drop $2900+ on a non-repairable laptop with soldered in RAM, SSDs (be careful about the plural there), CPU and other normally replaceable items? Ready to be married to the Windows 10 fiasco just to put icing on the cake?

Now comes the revelation that these computers are Siamese Twins, equipped not with a 1 TB SSD, but with two 512s cobbled together in a way that breaks Windows reinstallation and causes the default setup to defrag the SSDs once a week. This is the surest way to kill expensive, non-replaceable hard drives. There is a cumbersome workaround for the defrag debacle but none so far that lets you reinstall Windows and see both hard drives as a single device. Hey, if it breaks you're just supposed to trash it and spend another $3000. If you can't afford "excellence" tough toenails.

Yes, it gets worse. Read the story. Buying a Microsoft piece of horse squeeze is just as bad as buying an Apple piece of horse squeeze.

If you want something designed well for a third the price, get a Lenovo Thinkpad. I've bought five of them for customers and everybody's happy, including me if I have to work on them.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote