View Single Post
Old 06-18-15, 09:12 AM   #6
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0

Hey thanks for the props there AK! I just finished (a few weeks ago) building my new boat. Used mainly 3d printed parts for the structures, going to sell them as a kit, as it's a One Design class. It should cut the build time of a new boat by almost 50%. It also weighed about 10% lighter than most pre-ballast, which means I got to put more ballast in while still maintaining the minimum weight.
I'm currently designing a new boat for a smaller Developmental/Open Class, with a carbon fiber hull and keel (I guess I'm stuck using lead for ballast, my recent inquiries into obtaining depleted uranium raised a few eyebrows in the NRC I'm told). The kicker for this boat will be it's rigid wingsail. I've already got a few NACA foil designs in testing. But since the Heel Force of a wingsail is an order of magnitude or so less than regular sails, I can use less ballast, boat is lighter, goes faster.

As to the OP, It looks cool, I'm definitely going to take a look.

If your looking for Racing, check out Sailx.com. It's not a real sim in that you take full control of a boat. It's more like you are a coach that radios commands to the crew. The crew pretty much always sets the perfect trim for the sails you have up. You steer the boat, pick the course, pick the sails etc. They have multiple classes of boats.

What is amazing about the site is the rules and strategies. They sail to something similar to an Olympic level of rules enforcement. They follow the ISAF RRS There's anywhere from 5-40 boats in any race (they no longer use bots as the traffic is sufficient), and races go about every 5-10 minutes, round the clock. There's usually at least a few good protests every race, and then there is usually a very very in depth discussion in the forums about each protest. I've seen some really good ones drag on for a 100 posts and for weeks. Some of them actually get elevated to the ISAF ruling committee for further review, and a couple have even caused the ISAF to make amendments to the rule set.

While you're not setting the trim of the sails, you're in charge of the boat, and the strategies and tactics used are pretty top notch. It's helped my real world racing tremendously.

Last edited by Gargamel; 06-18-15 at 09:19 AM.
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote