Old 08-20-14, 05:05 PM   #12
Joefour
Engineer

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0
Default Passwords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhornchen View Post
How on earth did you get an umlaut on your "o", Joefour??

I picked "Eichhornchen" because (so it's said) the Germans used to demand its pronunciation by prisoners they suspected were British. It's apparently one of the words we find hardest to pronounce correctly. Mind you, I can't say "squirrel" after a couple of tots...
I have had a terrible time trying to get links in here before, so just do a search for "german ALT codes" (No, has nothing to do with Enigma, He, He) I'm assuming you are on a British keyboard which should act the same as an American one. Hold down the alt key and at the same time type in 0246 on the NUMLOCK keys. Doesn't work with the numerals at the top of the keyboard. You will get an ö. In fact, these ASCII code keys will produce punctuation for all the major european tongues.
The other alternative is to spell the old way they did in german before they came up with the umlaut-means "sound change". ae=ä, oe=ö, ue=ü, etc. You will see this reflected in some old german family names, like the poet Goethe, pronounced Göte. Another good excample is the family here in the NW that sells forest products. Weyerhaeuser. Everybody here calls it "Werhauzer" but the correct german pronunciation would be "Vyerhoizer".

As far as passwords go...
Sounds kinda like what the Americans did in the Pacific, with passwords like "Lalapalooza". A Japanese voice out in the bush would have a helluva time with that one unless he was American born.

"I love the smell of burning oil slicks in the morning. It smells like...Victory!"

Last edited by Joefour; 08-20-14 at 05:18 PM.
Joefour is offline   Reply With Quote