View Single Post
Old 05-21-08, 06:29 AM   #10
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Otherwise it's just a simplistic marine-shooter IMO
Yep, that's about it. The eye candy is so good in SH4 that it almost justifies it on that count. It'll be interesting to see if sufficient momentum gets going to tackle the wider issues that could make it a more serious and replayable sim.
Worth the investment of modding energy ? .... I guess if you're a genuine surface freak the answer is yes, but will it attract enough of the middle ground folk ?

Quote:
we need a WWI battleship mod...
Well actually that already exists ........
Iron Seas Thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=226
Website www.Ironseas.co.uk
...... but total posts of 325 in 8 months tells its own story.
SH4 has lovely graphics and it has the "brand" so even an indifferent representation of Fletcher on SH4 will attract more interest and excitement than a fully functioning realistically rendered WW1 battleship in the old DC.
Quote:
You say its a Fletcher Destroyer but the Folder Name is USS Clemson
Heh, if you dig even deeper it says Gato as well.
All of these playables are based around something else. Mikhayl's Clemson was based on the Gato and what I have done is taken his Clemson and used it as a template (to save debugging time). They are only labels. They could all be renamed but it wouldn't make it any more of a Fletcher than it is. What's important is the ship parameters which have been transfered ( albeit not perfectly). If you use the very fine Graf Spee it is still actually behaving in some ways like a sub ( AI ships think it's a sub for instance) because that's what it's based on
Quote:
You could take some stuff from the Pocket BB thread
Yep, sure will.
All these playables are about finding the way forward with new modding ideas.
Quote:
I would be more intrested in a Iowa
It will come