View Single Post
Old 07-25-18, 06:39 AM   #9
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Good question. My method was based on a tutorial that is now outdated because: in the new TWoS 2.2.6 I just realize that the sonarman doesn't give you the distance anymore, he says only 'long range, short range, medium range'. This is not helpful unless you do the 4-bearing method which takes longer and is AFAIK only suited for long range targets.

As a consequence, the hydrophone becomes useless at short range for quick decisions or for plotting targets and reading the speed with the calc tables. You would need to know the range EXACTLY, else your speed calculation is far off to be precise.

BUT:

For quick decisions, your target is close enough usually, meaning you can use the periscope and Stadimeter to make a good range calc. So you can combine the hydrophone plotting and change it according to your range calc; you then can calculate the speed based on the distance that your target makes in a certain time intervals (or using the Nomograph maybe? I never used this one...)
Learning a few things and based on experience The callouts medium. short long Range has numbers in the distance that can be estimated, There is a chart in the charts visibility tab that has ranged in numbers."hydro sounds chart All I have been doing is hunting by hydrophone and using a method to find a target that was shown by Kukilegs after taking 4 plots, and also if the target is closing as it is called out you can turn your boat and plot out a few bearings and you will get a snapshot of a course . the sonor guy when you are in the hydro station will give you an estimate in range if the target ship is closer than 30 km, even if it is called out as long medium and short

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote