Old 07-24-15, 02:24 AM   #232
Wise
Engineer

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
This morning I installed the Wilhelmshaven Schleuse and Extra Ships mod. Everything works fine when testing with the Navigation Course, but when I tried a career it crashed. I tried taking out different mods with no luck. Then I tried launching it from SH3 Commander and it worked just fine. It looks like I'm good to go with a little adjusting.

__________________________________________________ ___________

I WOULD NOW LIKE TO TAKE THIS TIME TO GIVE SOME ADVICE OF MY OWN.

If any newer members are reading this, I want you to listen carefully. One of the most common things we see here at Subsim is the cry for help:

"My game is crashing and I don't know why!"

"How does my mod soup look?"

I'm sorry if this seems a little harsh, but there is a very easy answer to all this: Never, ever, EVER install 30 mods and try to play the game. This is asking for trouble. ALWAYS install one mod at a time, and test each one as you go. This will result in two things, both positive.

1. If a mod doesn't work with the others you will know right away, and you will know which mod caused the problem. Also, because JSGME gives you warnings when a new mod overwrites an older one, you will know right away not only which mod caused the problem, but which one it had the conflict with. Then you can come here with specifics and anyone who might have the answer will be able to help immediately without feeling like he's pulling teeth.

2. Doing this will give you a better understanding of your computer and of the programs (games and mods) involved. Then you will know what to look for the next time you have a problem and you will be able to help others. We learn by doing, not by having others do it all for us.

Are you afraid of having to completely tear out the game, clean the registry and reload everything? TOO BAD! I've been playing subsims for thirty years now, and I've been playing SH3 (obviously not regularly or I wouldn't have this thread) for the almost ten years since it was released. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the whole game more times than I can count. No, it's not fun, but it is one of the perils of fiddling with stuff you don't know anything about. Don't want that to happen? Only run stock games or stick with just the tried-and-tested supermods.

Yes, that's a bit of a rant but it's also the truth. Everybody runs into problems and we are all here to help each other, but sometimes the new player doesn't understand how many times we've seen these exact same complaints. If you follow that single piece of advice - load your mods one at a time and test them - you'll save yourself and everybody else a lot of trouble later.
Steve, is gold words! Thank you very much!
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote