Old 02-08-19, 10:53 PM   #4
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
Can RA and LwAmi be selected together?
Mods have different databases (all objects in game) and doctrines (algorithms for many aspects of game like torpedo behaviour) so it's not possible to run both mods in the same time.

Quote:
what release is best/best for an absolute n00b to start with?I
I think vanilla or LwAmi are best for learning because RA extends some game mechanics. Also most original missions and campaign are not compatibile with RA - only adapted campaigns from 688(i) or Sub Command + Red Storm Rising. Lwami is compatibile with vanilla missions.

Quote:
starting with a sim that has over 600 pages of documentation
--vr
You don't need to read all pages - many of them are for speciffic platform like FFG or MPA. If you want to play sub, you can read chapters for sub commander

Quote:
If you're a sub skipper, how many torpedoes should you be able to evade in any given battle if you want to be a good skipper?

The answer is "zero". You're not supposed to be detected in the first place. Having to dodge a torpedo or sonobuoy means that you've already lost the battle.
It's not truth. In game sooner or later you will be detected by plane, helo or warship. Sometimes you need luck for not being detected and "luck" have own hidden limits. When you are detected - don't reload game, you need to know how to evade torpedoes if you wanna be good skipper.

My observations confirms that players without good knowledge how to evade torpedoes or how to "clear datum" are waste potential of own submarine. They don't understand that detection is not the same like identiffication so they usually plays whole in the water. Good example is FPSchazly - man who did great DW tutorials.
He is mostly single player DW gamer and in complex MP battles he's commanding is not so effective like other players, which plays often MP battles - sorry Chazz but it's truth :P (you are good in single player DW but in MP not so experienced like Ghostdog, Erik or me :P )

Quote:
LWAMI and RA add more platforms and countries. They also change the dynamics to give all the platforms a more equal chance. This is because LWAMI and RA were designed for veteran players who had already seen it all.
Lwami uses only vanilla playable platforms but adds many countries/platforms for AI. RA adds many playable platforms and does NOT change dynamics to equal chances. It only makes russian platforms are not so "retard" like in vanilla (but some things in vanilla were better for russian subs)
RA also gives you more control over your torpedoes, or AI helos from your FFG. Also fixes dozens of vanilla bugs like decreased speed of missiles, wrong mast heights, wrong radar works etc.

In my opinion you should start with vanilla or Lwami (better with Lwami) but with option for switching mod to RA when you will learn basics

BTW: MP games are only with RA - nobody plays MP with Lwami or vanilla

Last edited by p7p8; 02-08-19 at 11:44 PM.
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote