View Single Post
Old 03-02-17, 07:38 AM   #3974
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSnow View Post
I'm pretty sure surface factor relates to sea state (0-15 weather) and speed factor is a detection factor of the speed of a specific target/ship.

Thermal layers unfortunately, are not dynamic in SH and are hard coded as far as I know. I don't believe fractions work ie--it has to be a whole number 1/2/3. Your numbers look right as I recall.

I don't remember exact names of Japanese sonar systems in WWII but they are in the files (Type 93 and 95?). I do know that Japanese active systems had a range of ~2500 yards with an angle down of about 16 degrees. Sensitivity/Surface Factor/Aspect of submarine (Angle on Bow)really play into these ranges. Their sonar was actually quite good.

Passive systems were excellent but rarely were a factor of making initial contact with a submarine unless they already suspected one was in the area. Even then, active systems prevailed for making initial contact.

It's been years since I messed with this sim. Just got the hankering to do a little patrolling so reinstalled 3 days ago with RFB and my modified campaign. Read through quite a bit of this project thread today and it looks good. I used to mod a LOT but it's been years. My 1st subsim was Gato for the C64.

If you want any tech stuff on sonars, let me know. I'm familiar with Allied systems but I think I can dig up something for Japanese as well.

Impressive project RR!
Thanks for the offer. I believe that passive sonar systems are making the majority of initial contacts in the game. This isn't because someone made a mistake. It's that evil Ducimus making the game more "challenging" and torturing us even now!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote