View Single Post
Old 07-16-13, 08:08 PM   #19
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
From what I understand, those are good rifles. I wonder if there's a good way to use the current HBAR barrel in a flat top reciever.
None of us are experts but as I understand it, the problem is not the receiver itself but rather the barrel, or more specifically at what point that the rifling grooves begin in the barrel (called a Leade). Technically I believe all I need to do is to have my barrels Leade bored out a few millimeters by a qualified gunsmith equipped with the specialty tool necessary to do so. This is apparently a rare combination and will at least involve having to ship it out of state which can bring it's own issues. I like to do important business with people I can meet face to face.

On the other hand if I buy a complete new 5.56mm upper which includes not only the receiver but also the barrel, gas tube, front sight post assembly, fore grip ect, I not only keep my AR all original but I can also swap back to the .223 upper when I have that type of ammo thereby saving wear and tear on the 5.56.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote