View Single Post
Old 01-05-11, 12:52 PM   #823
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@LGN1: I agree, 2b) is more complicated. And I currently don't have a lot of choices. I could set the flooding-counter of the torpedo room to a randomly chosen value between 10% and 90%, but the boat does not even sink and the crew fastly pumps out the water. This is no penalty. But if I set the flooding counter to 100%, the game is over. Not nice. Only chance: Set the flooding counter to exactly 99%. This kills all crew in the compartment and makes it impossible to pump out the water, since no-one can go into that compartment - it's isolated, but the game does not end. This is the only penalty I can offer ATM - which could force the player not to dive and play realistic. But why simulate such a situation which a real kaleun would never choose?
Most of the torpedo crew is going to be on the deck (which can't be mirrored in the game granted) during the transfer. You're at a point where it will take 10-15 minutes to safely stow the gear and close the hatches. During this period you were pretty much be immobile. You see 2 B-24's ~5000m away. In 3-5 minutes those bombers will be in range to drop as much as 8000 lbs of bombs on you (per bomber), situation looks pretty fatal to the u-boat caught with its pants down.

In those 3-5 minutes most of the men could either move from the torpedo compartments into the adjacent ones closing the bulkhead, and the crew on top jump into through the tower. The bilge pumps will keep the flooding somewhat under control but never enough to clear the compartment. The volume and speed in which the water enters thse compartments would be enought to scuttle a ship if they opened up all the compartments in a matter of minutes. Unless they're hit by a bomb the pumps should be enough to keep those compartments at 80%-90% full but never reaching 100% unless there is further damage.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote