View Single Post
Old 08-20-10, 02:29 AM   #48
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
I wonder if the ship models themselves are accurate in scale to the real deal.
See, that's the real problem here. The 3D models are wrong and I bet all my money that there is no rule in scaling here. Maybe something like.. "I think the tanker should be a bit longer than a cargo, scale it". For example, use the external camera and take a look at a carrier. These ships should look really massive, but at close look.. they look like some fishing boats. Just look at the crew on board and the size of the ship. You don't need to do any math to figure out that the scale is very wrong.

So, the basic problem here is not the speed itself, but the scale. That's why using the speed chart is not a valid option in SH5. The only option to play the sim at max realism is to make multiple range readings and then ask The noob WO about the speed estimate. Then he will start digging in the game files and find somewhere deep, probably hardcoded, the right values. And is possible to be hardcoded, just to cover the the wrong scaling issue from the modders.

I spent a lot of time in the goblin editor trying to find out the ship length, but there is no line about the ship dimension, only garbage about rpm, propulsion, crew, cargo &stuff. The dimension is stored somewhere else. What is in the .cfg files are just to drop some numbers in the manual, not the real stuff. Remember, in the stock game, the rec manual are still not showing the ship length after patch 1.2, wonder why... So the issue is not the ship speed, but the wrong scaling. We are playing with some fake ships.. illusions, not models made after the real deal.

I need to say again.. this game was completely designed to be a game, not a sim and even the modding community is working really hard to make SH5 a sim, I think the battle is lost. You just can't play a sim when all the data in the game are wrong/fake...

I'm just thinking, maybe this is the main reason why it will pass a long time for the next patch, or there will be no further patch at all. The community demand a sim, not only "hey, align the dots is bugged" stuff. So to make SH5 a sim again it require a lot of work, time and funds. So....
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote