View Single Post
Old 11-02-11, 03:51 PM   #2529
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
Thanks, Hitman, sounds very plausible. Do you (or anybody else) know whether there was some communication between the UBoats in order to co-ordinate a collective attack? (I remember to have read something about a "wolfpack leader")?

But even if they had the possibility to communicate among Uboats: Would they do that in that specific situation? I ask, because radiowaves could warn the convoy.....
as i said...the book "feindfahrten"...by wolfgang hirschfeld is a helpful source. there was a "wolfpack-leader". the boat, which spotted the convoy sent (if possible!) once a day a message with convoy navigation data (speed, direction) to the bdu and all other boats. after spotting a convoy and the notification via radio, the boat was the leader and had to send a homesignal. the bdu coordinated the attack and send a message to the other boats nearby to head to the convoy and follow the homesignal of the regarding u-boat commander.

this is all coordination which was possible. as to randomizer. all messages where encoded. so the messages where to be as short as possible. and later in war, the radio was used not more than needed.

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote