View Single Post
Old 11-02-11, 10:37 AM   #2522
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The order to attack implies that BdU is satisfied with the amount of Uboats who have made contact with the convoy and are following it, not necessarily already in shooting position. They might be as much as 30 kms away, trailing the smoke plumes in daylight and doing the overhaul maneuver.

Moreover, it is important to understand that in naval warfare things are quite slower than in land warfare. This is not pretended to be some kind of infantry or chivalry attack, but instead a situation where a concentration of firepower is assembled against a concentration of defences by a distant command who can't see what is happening. From my point of view, considering both what I have readed and what is to be concluded from th UKH, BDU would simply ensure that enought uboats have established contact and were in situation to maneuver into attack (Which could take several hours) and then release them all for the action, specially the shadower. I think that it is fair to say that, except by pure coincidence, most uboats will not be ready to pull the trigger until some time has passed and instead they will need to do more or less long positioning maneuvers.

Hence, any modification of your work that either times exactly the 1st torpedo attack or implies a very short interval until all uboats attack after BDU releases them, would IMHO not be in the correct direction. No matter if the players like it or not, this can't be a sudden coordinated artillery attack, but instead a loose concentration of independently acting units in a certain area.