View Single Post
Old 05-02-16, 01:24 PM   #1503
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

May 2, 1916

Air War:
Austro-Hungaria pilot Kurt Gruber and observer Godwin Brumowski, in Albatros B.I 22.30, shoot down a Morane parasol. Victory number 2 for Gruber, number 3 for Brumowski.

Celtic Sea:
Walther Schwieger, commanding U-20, captures and torpedoes british freighter SS Ruabon, 2,004 tons, bound from Seville to Troon with a load of iron ore. His score is now 28 ships and 115,728 tons.

Erich Sittenfeld, in U-45, captures and torpedoes French barque SV Le Pillier, 2,427 tons, travelling in ballast from London to Buenos Aires. The crew are rescued by Danish freighter SS Lineskov and taken to Liverpool. Sittenfeld then captures and sinks British schooner SV Maud, 120 tons, travelling in ballast from Jersey to Cadiz. His score is now 4 ships and 8,032 tons.

North Sea:
Victor Dieckmann, in UB-27, comes across Norwegian barges Mars, 581 tons, and Superb, 770 tons, being towed by steamer SS Veslefjell. Dieckmann scuttles Mars and Superb. Veslefjell manages to escape. Dieckmann also sinks Norwegian barque SV Memento, 654 tons, bringing his score to 7 ships and 5,712 tons.

Swedish freighter SS Fridland, 4,960 tons, carrying a load of grain from Portland, Maine to Rotterdam, hits a mine laid by Kurt Ramien in UC-1. The damaged ship survives.

British freighter SS Rochester City, 1,239 tons, bound from Seaham for Rochester with a load of coal, hits a mine laid by Alfred Nitzsche in UC-10, bringing his score to 13 ships and 25,113 tons.

German East Africa:
Monitor HMS Severn sees a little action, shelling Government House at Kilwa.