View Single Post
Old 08-21-18, 10:15 PM   #13
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

I had a system freeze while typing, so this will be short and to the point, appologies ahead of time...

Typos possible too....

>> NOTE: Freeze again... somethings up, booted with older kernel, hopefully it holds this time!
I had similar trouble, and it wasn't WINE, it was the Video drivers, it was finally fixed with a Kernel update... So that may very well be the problem you are having...
Still, I'll leave the entirety of my post here so you can see my wandering and rambling before coming to this conclusion...

END NOTE <<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caption Ranker View Post
Yeah I'm running Mint 19 with the Cinnamon desktop. I should have mentioned that I switched from my headphones, to my speakers and had the same issue.

Ok, that removes "wrong device" as a possible issue.
Is the output "muted"? (I've done that before.)

Quote:
Yeah, lutris is great, it's really making the transition to Linux much easier. It's basically a better version of play on linux, making set up of wine games a one click process in most cases.

I can run off my systems version of wine with Lutris. I just did so and used wine tricks to switch between the different audio divers Alias, OSS, Plus audio to no effect.

> I was typing this section when it froze, so this is the short version. <

Aplication Launcher ("start menu"), under WINE:
WINE Configuration. (or terminal "winecfg"), you can select the output device.

If the rest of the system is working with one of them, then sticking with that while you try to troubleshoot the issue is probably best.

Quote:
It's sounding more and more like there is something wrong with my version on linux mint 19 and how it is handling audio. I believe I should be able to install another version of Linux alongside my current OS fairly easy if I remember. I think that is my next step in determining what's wrong here.

Yes you can, you need an empty partition to put the System on.
If you setup a seperate "Home" partition (a partition mounted at /home) for MINT...
THEN...
EITHER:
A: Put the 2nd Linux distro's /home on the "system" partition. That is, don't setup a separate /home partition when you install it.

B: Use a different Desktop for the 2nd Linux Distro.
OR
C: Use a different USERNAME.

OTHERWISE:
The Settings files might over-write each other if it is the same desktop (Cinimmon/MATE/KDE/etc.) if on the same partition.

If you go with option "A" or "C", you will need to reinstall (or copy over) SH4.

>>> CAN CLARIFY THIS IF NEED BE <<<

(I really need to do a basic run-down on how this works, with pics and all.)

Quote:
Edit: Also my sound works fine in everything else, I had an issue with Skyrim but somehow that fixed itself by just switching between wine versions with lutris.
I've had issues that are fixed with a WINE update.
But if the problem persist, then it's probably not WINE.

Quote:
Edit: Did you install DX 9? I'm trying to do anything but install DX9.

Only my 32bit prefix has DX9 and Dotnet 2.0, others have Dotnet 4/4.5/4.6/etc as required by mod tools/editors.

My default 64bit. is "clean" unless a game has installed something on its "first run".

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Why, me of course, big on Linux, that is!...

Just a "refresher" for my memory, but check out:

Rockin Robbin's Let's Install Linux on Moonlight's Spare Computer!
and
BarracudaUAK's WINE or How to run your Windows game on Linux

Of particular note here is RR's post #27 on page 2 wherein DirectX v9.0c and the WindowsMedia 9 Codecs are part of the game install at about the 55 second mark of his video...

there might be updates to the Linux stuff though...

My WINE thread only covers the basics, it doesn't go into that much detail.

I did plan on covering the install of tools like S3D, since the install isn't straight forward.
It's not hard, just not as easy as point and click.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote