Thread: My first build
View Single Post
Old 03-15-09, 10:49 PM   #66
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Nice build man. Let me offer some advice, having done builds like this before:

1. RAID-0 is great with 2 drives but not with 3 or 4. Over time, fear will start to set in about failure, however. I would suggest you add extra drives if you haven't already and really, honestly and for true, back up your stuff. Ideally, Ghost your entire drive every week - like nuking stuff from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

RAID is fairly easy to set up, but can pose problems later when you decide to start re-partitioning, adding new operating systems, and generally moving things around. It starts feeling very fragile and paranoia starts to set in about doing anything, which will ultimately lead you to fully ghosting the entire drive before really doing anything, which is another reason I suggest setting up an arrangement like that (and testing it, ghost and restore with an OS) ahead of time.

2. The extra weight on the processor is a risk and you'll want to be careful moving it around.

3. Learn and use nHancer to really crank those graphics up

4. The Scythe S-FLEX fans with S-FDB (Sony Fluid Dynamic Bearings) freaking rock. I have like 7 of them in my monster PC and can barely hear it.