Thread: Falcon 4 BMS
View Single Post
Old 04-07-17, 03:03 PM   #17
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Agreed. I was big in to MiG Alley and BoB. As a matter of fact, posts I made at Combatsim back in the '90s about the campaign landed me a gig on the staff of Frugalsworld, if you might have been familiar with that site. Once there, I got in to F4, and for a time, Frug's was the go-to place on the web for Falcon 4.

Jane's sims may be the only ones without dynamic campaigns I've bought that I played the sh!t out of. US Navy Fighters, ATF, Marine Fighters, the whole works. Of course back then, in the mid-90s I didn't have anything better to compare them to and I loved each of those titles.

But a couple years later, 1999 to be precise, I picked up MiG Alley and F4 and the rest is history. Any sim I've bought since then that does not have such a campaign was short-lived. Like Strike Fighters for example. EF2000 sort of bridged the gap. A better campaign experience, but not on par with F4 or the Rowan titles.

The exception is Il-2, and that only because we had so much fun flying multiplayer. If the single player campaign was the only way I could fly, even the classic Il-2 would have been gathering dust long before it did.

To that list I would also add LB2 and EECH, rotors sure, but good campaigns that kept my attention for a long time. And of course what dynamic campaign list would be complete without Silent Hunter series?

I think it says a lot about both Falcon 4 and the F4 community that out of all of these classic titles, F4 is the only one I still fly.